The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Social Security Disability Payments
Aug 9, 2012

I went back to work after 13 years on disability. They continued paying me for a long time after I went back to work. Now they want me to repay the amount they paid even though I told them several times to stop the payments.

What will happen when I go on social security when I get to retirement age, which is fast approaching, because I'll still owe them thousands of dollars?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Social Security is fairly strict about getting overpayments returned. You do have some choices, however.

First, you can appeal that this wasn't your fault by showing proof that they were notified that you returned to work. That may or may not work since you may have known you shouldn't have been paid, yet kept (and spent) the money you received.

You may also appeal repayment on the basis that it would be a severe financial hardship to have to repay it. However, SSA will usually arrange payment plans.

You may do both of the above at the same time. Go to and search for SSA-632 for the forms. Also see more information about overpayments here.

To answer your question, if you do not have the repayment waived, they will deduct it from future payments as well as grab any income tax refunds you may be eligible for. overpayments here.

can hiv be transmitted this way
Possibility of HIV infection ...In need of urgent help

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint