Social Security Disability Payments

I went back to work after 13 years on disability. They continued paying me for a long time after I went back to work. Now they want me to repay the amount they paid even though I told them several times to stop the payments.

What will happen when I go on social security when I get to retirement age, which is fast approaching, because I'll still owe them thousands of dollars?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Social Security is fairly strict about getting overpayments returned. You do have some choices, however.

First, you can appeal that this wasn't your fault by showing proof that they were notified that you returned to work. That may or may not work since you may have known you shouldn't have been paid, yet kept (and spent) the money you received.

You may also appeal repayment on the basis that it would be a severe financial hardship to have to repay it. However, SSA will usually arrange payment plans.

You may do both of the above at the same time. Go to www.ssa.gov and search for SSA-632 for the forms. Also see more information about overpayments here.

To answer your question, if you do not have the repayment waived, they will deduct it from future payments as well as grab any income tax refunds you may be eligible for. overpayments here.

can hiv be transmitted this way
Possibility of HIV infection ...In need of urgent help