Life Insurance for PLWHA?

I'm an HIV/AIDS Medical Case Manager and I'm frequently asked whether or not PLWHA can apply for Life Insurance. I understand the technalities behind it, but I've never been able to give a straight forward answer. Are you aware of any plans that offer Life Insurance to PLWHA and what their criteria are? Please advise, thank you!

Response from Mr. Chambers

I wish I had a better answer for you, but any insurance plan that asks questions about your health when applying will refuse to cover anyone who is HIV+.

That leaves very little. Obviously, if someone gets life insurance through their employer, the base amount provided does not require any medical underwriting.

For persons age 50 or more (and over 40 in some states), there are companies that offer a Graded Benefit Life product that does not require any medical underwriting or questions. The way these plans work is that if the insured person dies in the first two years of the policy, only the premiums paid plus interest are paid to the beneficiary. If death occurs after the plan has been in effect for over two years, then the full benefit is paid. These plans normally are only $10,000 to $25,000 in face value.

I am not aware of any other life insurance policy that covers both illness and accident that is available to someone with HIV. Good luck, Jacques

PREGNANACY IN CMV
Just took job as Surgical Tech