Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Life Insurance for PLWHA?
Aug 6, 2012

I'm an HIV/AIDS Medical Case Manager and I'm frequently asked whether or not PLWHA can apply for Life Insurance. I understand the technalities behind it, but I've never been able to give a straight forward answer. Are you aware of any plans that offer Life Insurance to PLWHA and what their criteria are? Please advise, thank you!

Response from Mr. Chambers

I wish I had a better answer for you, but any insurance plan that asks questions about your health when applying will refuse to cover anyone who is HIV+.

That leaves very little. Obviously, if someone gets life insurance through their employer, the base amount provided does not require any medical underwriting.

For persons age 50 or more (and over 40 in some states), there are companies that offer a Graded Benefit Life product that does not require any medical underwriting or questions. The way these plans work is that if the insured person dies in the first two years of the policy, only the premiums paid plus interest are paid to the beneficiary. If death occurs after the plan has been in effect for over two years, then the full benefit is paid. These plans normally are only $10,000 to $25,000 in face value.

I am not aware of any other life insurance policy that covers both illness and accident that is available to someone with HIV. Good luck, Jacques

Previous
PREGNANACY IN CMV
Next
Just took job as Surgical Tech

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.