Intl hospitalization insurance

Hi, I am a HIV positive man who's on meds and having undetectable viral load. I have been thinking about getting myself covered for hospitalization but I just realized that most insurers in my country (not the US) will not insure a HIV positive person. I think I can take care of the out of pocket costs for routine medical care, but I'd just like to get covered for catastrophic events. Do you know of any international health insurance that provides coverage for folks with pre-existing conditions? Also, with so many new findings about how HIV increases the risks of non-communicable diseases, how do insurers judge whether a claim is HIV-related?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I am not aware of any company that will issue a health insurance policy to an HIV positive applicant. I did a search and looked at all the applications for international coverage I could find, approximately twelve companies.

Every single one asks health questions. Most flatly ask if you have tested HIV+. Others ask about recent tests, last time seeing a doctor, medications being taken and other questions that an HIV positive person would have to answer "Yes" and explain.

While there has been substantial improvement in the treatment of HIV/AIDS that extends and enhances the quality of life, those treatments are very expensive and no insurance company wants to take them on voluntarily.

If you already have health insurance, it seems to me that the carriers tend to try to relate almost anything as HIV-related. If I am exaggerating, it's not by much.

I'm sorry I can't help you find what you are looking for. Jacques

positive results in drug tests
New Health Care law