Can you help?

Hello!

I have been on SSDI and receive LTD benefits from a large company based in the United States since '96. I also sold my life insurance policy because my diagnosis at the time was not good. I am now residing in Puerto Rico and I'm looking into going back to work for a different company. I pretty much now what's going to happen with my SSDI benefits, however, do I need to notify my previous employer so they stop my LTD benefits along with my health benefits?

Also when they perform the drugs and health test do I need to disclouse my HIV status? In a way I'm concerned about loosing my current benefits and then not being able to return to work.

Please help. Any suggestions as of where can I find more information about this issues?

Thank you!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

When you return to work, you will have to notify the LTD provider. However, check to see if they have a residual disability benefit which would allow you to return to work and if you become disabled again within a certain period of time resume your disability benefits. With respect to the health care coverage, if it is offered in connection with the LTD, you should notify the employer. There might be COBRA benefits available to you.

LTD Pre-existing Condition
Do I have to Disclose my HIV status?