The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

insurance in usa for international student
Jul 24, 2012

dear sir, if an international candidate wants to do a phd in usa, is there any possibility to get insurance coverage from the uni/usa govt for hiv meds? something or all has to be spent from own pocket or there is any help from the govt? i think immigration ban in usa for hiv pos is lifted already. then there must be some better way of treatment. regards.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You are correct that the immigration ban on persons with HIV/AIDS has been lifted in the US, as evidenced by the International AIDS Conference currently in session in the US for the first time in 22 years.

As far as insurance for persons with pre-existing conditions goes, this country is still behind virtually every other industrialized country by not having universal healthcare. Some progress is being made.

There are currently health plans available in every state specifically for persons with a pre-existing condition such as HIV, provided you have been without health insurance for six months or more.

In addition, the federal government, with many states supplementing, funds the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) in every state. The plans are administered by each state and provide a range of HIV medications at little or no cost. The plans vary broadly by state in what drugs they cover and availability due to limits on enrollment in some states.

It is important that you explore the AIDS Service Organizations in the area you intend to locate for more information on these programs and what other programs and health clinics are available in that area.

Good luck, Jacques

Third party Administrator confidentiality

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint