Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Work Place Insurance - Follow up.

I would like to ask a follow up question to a post "work insurance" dated 1/28/12. I work for a small company, 30 emplyees. Your responce to "work insurance" post states employers can not request nor can insurance co. advise types of medications or procdures of employees. Can you clairify if employers are able to request from the insurance company how much is spent for medications and doctors visits specific to an individual employee.

Thank You,

Response from Mr. Chambers

For a group of 30 employees, I seriously doubt that the insurance company keeps track of who spends on what in what employer group. While you may get Explanations of Benefits from the insurance company explaining how they paid various medical bills, that information is not combined for employer groups.

Because virtually all states do not permit claims data to justify rate increases on groups of this size, but instead requires insurance companies to pool the claims data into larger groups of employers where past claims are a better reflection of future claims.

I'm sorry I can't guarantee that employers will never know about individual claimants, but it is extremely rare and getting rarer as stronger laws are put into effect protecting medical information and expanding the liability an employer would incur if he/she tried to used such information to make personnel decisions such as temrination.

Phlebotomist as a job
employment physical and physical urine test