For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Phlebotomist as a job

I am on atripla and I am a fully qualified Phlebotomist. Can I continue to work as a phlebotomist?

Response from Mr. Chambers

The first thing to confirm is that it is legal in your state. I believe that by now most states have revised their prohibition against persons infected with HIV, HBV, HCV, etc. work as a phlebotomist, realizing that transmission in such situations is exceedingly rare and is easily preventible.

Once that is confirmed, you should have no problems getting such work with HIV. There are recommended guidelines such as double gloving, but you should not be prevented from working because of your HIV status. You can see more about phlebotomists with HIV at this site.

Good luck, Jacques phlebotomists with HIV at this site.

Your info is out-dated!!!
Work Place Insurance - Follow up.