Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LTD Pre-existing Condition
May 3, 2001

I am no where near applying for disability at this point. My question is when i need it will I qualify. I have a company sponsored plan. The pre-existing condition clause states diagnosed, treated, took medications or consulted 3 months prior to the effective date of coverage and the disability begins within the first 12 months of coverage. I AM ASSUMING THAT THE ABOVE CLAUSE PERTAIND TO AN HIV/AIDS DIAGNOSIS? CORRECT? My effective date of coverage was 10/1/2000. I was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in December 2000. 3 months prior to my effective date of coverage I went to doctors for allergies, sinus infection, rash and flu like symptoms. My question is when I need this insurance is the insurance carrier going to consider these prior medical problems as pre-existing for AIDS. It would be nice to understand this since documentation from insurance companies are so vauge. I hope you can answer my question and I thank you for your time.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

There is the possibility that the insurer will consider your visits to the doctor in the 3 months prior to coverage taking effect as treatment for an HIV-related illness. However, once you have 12 months of coverage on 10/1/2001, the pre-existing condition clause will no longer apply.

Previous
Being terminated for being an HIV caretaker/spouce.
Next
Can you help?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.