The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NJ Question
Jun 22, 2012

I do not mean to sound like downer Debbie but NJ does not have HIPPA policies as they do no deny for pre-existing conditions. The problem is that even the best plan only covers fifty percent of meds and that amount does not count towards the out of pocket maximum. The best plan is about 600USD a month. I too live in NJ and encountered the same problem. I bought a cheap policy for 200USD a month that had no presription covergae so when I did find a job I could use that for the pre-existing covergage rule. I then flew to Montreal to get the medicine much cheaper. Thank God this order only lasted five months.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Thank you for the information. Sometimes the real world is different from what is written. I was relying on a survey by the Disability Rights Legal Center.

However, I am confused as to how NJ does not offer HIPAA policies since it is a federal law and applies to all persons covered under an employer provided health plan. The law for those using Option 1, which DRLC says is done in NJ, requires insurers to provide the top two plans they offer based on premium volume.

You are right that the rates are certainly not the same as if it were being purchased with medical underwriting by a healthy person. A monthly premium of $600 is not unusual depending on age of the applicant and the level of medical costs in the state.

Thank you for contributing. It's contributions like yours that gives this site the authenticity it needs.


Laid off with income too high for ADAP
HIV and radiation treatment for prostate cancer

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint