NJ Question

I do not mean to sound like downer Debbie but NJ does not have HIPPA policies as they do no deny for pre-existing conditions. The problem is that even the best plan only covers fifty percent of meds and that amount does not count towards the out of pocket maximum. The best plan is about 600USD a month. I too live in NJ and encountered the same problem. I bought a cheap policy for 200USD a month that had no presription covergae so when I did find a job I could use that for the pre-existing covergage rule. I then flew to Montreal to get the medicine much cheaper. Thank God this order only lasted five months.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Thank you for the information. Sometimes the real world is different from what is written. I was relying on a survey by the Disability Rights Legal Center.

However, I am confused as to how NJ does not offer HIPAA policies since it is a federal law and applies to all persons covered under an employer provided health plan. The law for those using Option 1, which DRLC says is done in NJ, requires insurers to provide the top two plans they offer based on premium volume.

You are right that the rates are certainly not the same as if it were being purchased with medical underwriting by a healthy person. A monthly premium of $600 is not unusual depending on age of the applicant and the level of medical costs in the state.

Thank you for contributing. It's contributions like yours that gives this site the authenticity it needs.

Jacques

Laid off with income too high for ADAP
HIV and radiation treatment for prostate cancer