The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will Aetna student health insurance co pay my treatment
Jun 19, 2012

I just tested HIV+ and I am a college student on Aetna student health insurance, I haven't gotten any prescriptions yet but I am worried because the Aetna website says the max prescription covered per year is $2000. Will my treatment be considered medical and is there a way I can upgrade to a similarly priced student based or individual insurance that can cover/co-pay such treatment?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Student health insurance is almost never transferable, and usually expires when you are no longer an "eligible" student with no conversion or extension privilege. You can ask at the college office that handles the coverage, but I doubt if they offer any alternatives.

Every plan is different so I can't speak to the specifics of your coverage, but if it says the annual prescription drug limit is $2,000, then that is all they will cover. Your treatment is probably through prescriptions medications, and given the cost of current HIV medications, the $2,000 will not last long at all.

Are you under age 26? If so, you are eligible to be covered under your parents' plan assuming they have coverage.

Other than that, I would check to see what might be available in your state for plans that do not require medical underwriting, either guaranteed issue or during an open enrollment period. Check here. Check here.

Good luck, Jacques

Looking for another individal health insurance policy
Laid off with income too high for ADAP

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint