Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What can I do.?
Jun 14, 2012

I was employed by accompany for 14 years and had the health insurance with them, in March 2012 I resigned and I was offered COBRA which I used for 2 months, I was hired by another company and took the grou Coverage and automatically dropped my COBRA, now with this new company I went from full time 80 hrs / pay period to 16 hours and they dropped my health insurance, because it's offered to FT employees only. What can I do to continue my coverage? Am I still eligible for COBRA from this new company or the old company, or just get an individual plan? Please help my last coverage was June 1, 2012.

Response from Mr. Chambers

As long as your coverage was effective under the new company, you are eligible for COBRA since you lost it due to reduced hours. Assuming your coverage ended May 31, 2012, you have sixty days to accept COBRA coverage. If you weren't mailed a notice, you should contact your company's HR department.

If you could qualify for individual health coverage, that would probably be better since it puts you in control of your health insurance. However, since you are at this site, I suspect you might not qualify for individual coverage, as it typically requires proof of good health.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Nurse Needing to Tell a Minor that he is HIV positive
Next
Is this sexual harrassment.....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.