Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does group health ins pay for HIV meds?
Jun 11, 2012

My HIV drug is currently paid for by ADAP. I will be getting group health insurance soon. I understand that group health ins has pre existing condition exclusions for 6 to 12 months. Will this include not paying for my HIV drug ?

Response from Mr. Chambers

IF the coverage has a Pre-existing Conditions Limitation (some plans like HMOs usually don't); IF HIV is a pre-existing condition as defined in the policy (it will define what is a pre-existing condition and what isn't); IF you did not have coverage that covered your pre-existing condition that ended within 63 days of your new coverage starting, then Yes, the new plan may not cover your HIV medications for the first 6 - 12 months of your coverage.

If that is the case, ADAP will continue to cover your drugs. Once your plan starts covering them you need to advise ADAP of it so they will only have to pay what the plan does not pay.

Good luck with the new group coverage. If you have problems, write back, Jacques

Previous
Tricked into signing disclosure
Next
Medicare Credible Coverage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.