Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Suggest me->Insurance related query.
Jun 4, 2012

Hi,

I have a few questions.I hope you will help me with them.

I recently found that I am HBV positive.I am with my company group health Insurance with little high deductibles. 1) Can I change my Insurance to a Individual policy with better deductible or they dont cover my HBV related issues as it is a pre-medical condition.

2)If I change company Will the Health Insurance offered by New Company consider my Individual Pre-Medical Conditions to add me to their health Insurance group policy?

Please suggest me, I am not clear how to proceed on it. In case I get a new individual Health Insurance and cancel my existing group policy. I fear that I might come across a situation where New Insurance doesn't Cover my existing Medical Cond and Old Insurance will not as I already cancelled it.

Please correct me, If my understanding is wrong and suggest me an alternative.

Thanks for your time.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I think you are referring to Hepatitis B Virus when you mention HBV. HBV is a blood borne virus, and is chronic.

Unfortunately, any health insurance that requires you to complete a medical questionnaire (all individual health plans in most states) will refuse you coverage due to the HBV infection. If you do not tell them about your HBV when they ask about infections on the questionnaire and they later find out about it when you file claims, they will rescind or void your coverage and you will have been without insurance.

Because of that, I strongly recommend you keep your group health insurance. At least, that is solidly in force. Should you leave your job, you may have COBRA continuation. Whether you have COBRA or not, after your group insurance finally runs its course and ends, you have a guaranteed right under HIPAA to purchase an individual health insurance plan which you can keep indefinitely.

You mention you have a high deductible. I'm not sure how high you mean, but most group plans have been raising their deductibles for some time now in an effort to keep costs down. Hopefully, you can work on your budget to set aside money to cover that deductible should you need it.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Recently received SSDI
Next
Insurance for poz immigrant to USA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.