Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DOT physical
Jun 4, 2012

My CDL and medical certificate are mine, not my employers. I work two jobs that require certification. Can either employer refuse my medical certificate because it wasn't done by there doctor? I pay for the exam. Can they make me take another exam even though I am already certified?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm not sure what the medical certificates are for. Is this an employer requirement only or do you have to have certification for a license for an occupation that requires certification by law? Assuming CDL stands for Commercial Driver's License, it is the state that is requiring the certification. As long as you have a current certificate, your employer should accept the certificate without requiring another.

Should the employer require its own "certificate" with its own physical exam, they cannot do that under the Americans with Disabilities Act until you have a firm job offer. As long as the exam shows you can perform the duties of the job, they must hire you regardless of what else the exam says. If your employer is doing business with a group that regularly gives such exams, they should simply tell the employer yes or no on whether you can do the job. They should not be releasing all the details of the exam.

Important point: if you have to take an exam, do NOT lie. That alone can be grounds for dismissal. Ask the examiner what information the employer gets.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
COBRA, Medicare, No job, and HIV...
Next
Employer Paid Annual Physical

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.