DOT physical

My CDL and medical certificate are mine, not my employers. I work two jobs that require certification. Can either employer refuse my medical certificate because it wasn't done by there doctor? I pay for the exam. Can they make me take another exam even though I am already certified?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm not sure what the medical certificates are for. Is this an employer requirement only or do you have to have certification for a license for an occupation that requires certification by law? Assuming CDL stands for Commercial Driver's License, it is the state that is requiring the certification. As long as you have a current certificate, your employer should accept the certificate without requiring another.

Should the employer require its own "certificate" with its own physical exam, they cannot do that under the Americans with Disabilities Act until you have a firm job offer. As long as the exam shows you can perform the duties of the job, they must hire you regardless of what else the exam says. If your employer is doing business with a group that regularly gives such exams, they should simply tell the employer yes or no on whether you can do the job. They should not be releasing all the details of the exam.

Important point: if you have to take an exam, do NOT lie. That alone can be grounds for dismissal. Ask the examiner what information the employer gets.

Good luck, Jacques

COBRA, Medicare, No job, and HIV...
Employer Paid Annual Physical