CONTINUATION OF COBRA FOR A DISABLED PERSON

I HAVE BEEN ON COBRA FOR ALMOST 18 MONTHS. I WAS ON A LONG TERM DISABILITY THROUGH MY PRIVATE EMPLOYER. I ALSO AM ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY. WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT INSUANCE FROM THE TIME MY COBRA ENDS TO THE TIME I CAN COLLECT MEDICARE...THEY SAY THAT'S ABOUT SIXTEEN MONTHS. I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME, THE COBRA ENDS IN JUNE 2012!!

Response from Mr. Chambers

To get the disability extension of COBRA, you must send the COBRA administrator a copy of your SSDI award letter while COBRA is still in effect AND within 60 days of getting the SSDI award letter.

If you miss that, you do have a guaranteed right to purchase an individual health plan under the federal law, HIPAA. You must purchase it within 63 days of your COBRA ending. Each state handles the purchase of these policies differently. You can see how it is done in you state by clicking here.

suspected hiv + ,planning to suicide after confirmation
New Job and getting off Medicaid