Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

suspected hiv + ,planning to suicide after confirmation
May 21, 2012

I am suspected hiv + and waiting for window period to complete. After cofirmation I am planning to suicide due to horrible future. Please give your suggestion how can I avoid that?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Learn! Learn! Learn! Everything you learn about HIV will make you more confident you will be fine, even if positive. First, there is a good chance you are not HIV+, however, for this, we will assume the tests come back positive.

You may not have been watching all the progress being made in HIV treatment. People with HIV are living longer and longer. More people I have known with HIV that died recently, died for reasons other than HIV. My partner of 40 years, in his mid-60s died of emphysema even though he had been HIV+ for twenty years.

Treatments are excellent at suppressing the virus and are even varied based on the "type" of virus. They also have much fewer side effects. There are programs available if you don't have insurance to obtain the medications. There is also lots of support for you medically, psychologically, and emotionally.

Finding out you are HIV+ is absolutely no reason to jump to thoughts of suicide. There are diseases that are so debilitating and fatal, that some feel justified to take their lives to avoid a worse fate. HIV IS NO LONGER ONE OF THOSE.

Should you find out you are HIV+, you will receive information on counseling. Take advantage of it. I have never met anyone new to HIV+ that didn't need to take some time and get some help digesting that information. There is lots of support to help you understand how you feel and how those feelings will improve and you will think rationally again.

Study this site. Find an AIDS Service Organization in your area, and get prepared to live a long and fruitful life.

Good luck to you, Jacques

Previous
planning for the future.... SSI and Medicare
Next
CONTINUATION OF COBRA FOR A DISABLED PERSON

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.