found hiv+

recently i got my blood test HIV+.I am scared.please tell me what should i do?

Response from Mr. Chambers

The first thing to do is try to calm yourself. Your life is NOT over, and there is a lot of support out there for you.

Next, although there is no reason to be ashamed, you are probably not thinking real clearly right now, so I recommend you postpone telling anyone for a while, until you can decide who should know more objectively.

I don't know where you live but see if there are any AIDS Service Organizations (ASOs) near you. They can provide a lot of support and practical guidance and information. You can find a list of them by area here.

You need information and emotional support. An ASO can usually provide both. If you don't live near an ASO, learn about HIV and treatment at this site and others.

I strongly encourage you to seek some short term emotional/mental health support. There are also online support groups if you aren't near a live one.

If you have health insurance, either through work or on your own, check to see what kind of coverage you have. If it comes from work and you don't have a copy of your health plan, you can get one from your employer's Human Resources Dept. If you're concerned about "raising red flags," just tell them that you saw a financial program on TV, or read an article, or are getting solicited by an insurance agent, and you learned the first step in reviewing your needs is to know what you already have. Don't just ask for the health plan; ask for all your benefit plan documents, life insurance, disability, health, dental, vision, retirement, everything.

Also, feel free to write me back if you have specific questions.

You are going through a rough time now, so absorb the knowledge, learn more about your condition and what can be done about it, and settle your emotions. You will get through this.

You have a great future; you just need to adjust to this new information.

Best of luck to you, Jacques by area here.

dr. disclosed my status in a social setting
Long term disablity burn out