Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

afraid for job
May 8, 2012

My HIV and depression have caused me to have good and bad days. I am on 3 medications for the depression and am seeing both a counselor and a psychiatrist. Recently after learning that my ex-partner died, i was really down and vented in an email to my boss (we are friends as well) for advice. He misread the email and sent it to HR. Now,my GM, the VP of HR, 2 corp. attorneys, my District manager, and 2 other HR managers have had conference calls as far as the "next decision that corporate will make as far as my employment." I have been with the company for 4 years and have no disciplinary record against me. What can the company do and not do??

Thanks, Can't be unemployed

Response from Mr. Chambers

While I do know a lot about benefits and workplace issues, I am not an attorney. I do recommend you ask this of one of the employment attorneys on this list.

As a non-attorney, I can tell you a lot depends on whether or not you are an "at will" employee (basically without a contract and can be terminated at the will of the employer). It also depends on how "at will" employees are handled in your state. Some states have passed laws or court decisions which restricts an employer's right to terminate.

It also depends on what was said in your email. If you are still friendly with your boss, you may want to sit down with him/her to see how serious the situation is and whether there is anything you can do to defuse it.

If you are terminated, you should ask for the reasons in writing and if you have doubts about the reason, consult a legal services agency in your area for legal advice.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Is HIV considered as preexisting condition
Next
ADAP back bill...?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.