Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

FMLA
May 7, 2012

I have just been diagnosed with HIV. Can I qualify for FMLA on my job because I need time off to cope with this life changing news?

Response from Mr. Chambers

First recognizing you are HIV+ can be a lot to absorb and it certainly makes sense to spend some time adjusting to this new information, learning about the condition and all the available treatments, and coming back to realize you still have a long and fulfilling future.

Assuming you are otherwise eligible for FMLA, you would qualify as long as your doctor is willing document to your employer that you suffer from a "Serious Medical Condition." HIV, of course, certainly is a serious medical condition, but some doctors are reluctant to use that term if you are totally asymptomatic.

However, it is completely reasonable that you would need to take some time off to absorb this information, and hopefully have some short term therapy or join a group of newly infected to help you come to terms with it. Check with your doctor.

Remember, FMLA lasts only twelve weeks. Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Disability question
Next
ADAP Ryan White and PCIP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.