i work for the insurance company that provides my insurance

I currently work for a major medical insurance company in turn they are also the ones who provide me my medical insurance...does this mean my employer and boss can find out about my HIV status and see all my medical records?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I seriously doubt it. Assuming you work for a carrier of any size, they are well aware of the legal problems they can have just making their employees' medical records to employees.

Most carriers take special efforts to protect employee medical records from being accessed by anyone other than those that process the employee claims. Typically, that is handled by a separate claims unit and the details of the claims are not available to people outside that unit.

In addition to protecting you, it protects your company from charges of discrimination based on employee health records. As long as you tell no one in your company about your condition, I am confident no one in your company will know about it.

When I worked for an insurance company, the people in the claims unit handling employee claims were hired more for their ability to maintain confidentiality and they were carefully instructed about the importance of privacy. This was way before HIV even came along or any of the strict medical confidentiality laws like HIPAA.

oral sex
existing term life insurance