Applying for a Federal Job

I'm a 26 year old who was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in August of 2010. At the time I was hospitalized with PCP pneumonia as well as Kaposi's Sarcoma. With this combination of diagnoses I was deemed disabled by Social Security and have been receiving disability payments since January of 2011. As I am young and have recovered quite a bit from my initial illness I have been looking strongly at returning to the workforce and a semblance of a regular, productive life. One of the jobs I am currently looking at happens to be a Federal job with the IRS. On the application there is an option to claim yourself as a disabled applicant (which has the benefit of being placed higher on the consideration list). My question is that although I have seemingly recovered, with the combination of my previous diagnoses and current designation under Social Security as disabled can I apply under this category?

Thank you for all your info!

Response from Mr. Chambers

That's a good question because the term "disabled" has multiple definitions. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) HIV as well as AIDS are considered to be disabilities, and the same applies to hiring by the federal government. You can learn more about that from the federal Office of Personnel Management at this link.

If you search at that site for "hiring persons with HIV" you will even find the form for persons to complete to self-identify as disabled and it does include HIV/AIDS. This notification of your condition is what triggers your rights under ADA

Good luck with the job, Jacques

this link

doctor with AIDS
oral sex