Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCIP
Apr 4, 2012

I am enrolled in the PCIP insurance plan in Florida. I am concerned what, if any, impact on my insurance by a negative opinion on the Affordable Care Act by the Supreme Court may be. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Chambers

It depends on whether the court overturns the entire law or just parts of it. If they overturn the entire law, the PCIP would technically go away, however, I have no doubt that Congress will try to resurrect parts of the law to continue (assuming Congress can agree.)

If they only overturn the mandate that everyone buy health insurance, then PCIP will probably continue, at least for a while. It is not clear how the insurance industry will react to continuing the other provisions since they were counting on enrolling millions of new insured members.

Some states are looking at what portions of the law they can continue, but without the promised federal funds may or may not be available.

In other words, it's impossible to know what will happen for sure. It could be anything from PCIP continuing for those already enrolled to closing the plan since it was designed to only be temporary until the mandate and guaranteed issue insurance takes effect on 01-01-2014.

If anything becomes clearer, I will certainly post it.

Jacques

Previous
Very scared. I know I have it.
Next
THIRD TIME ASKING

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.