Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mail order prescriptions
Apr 3, 2012

Hi Doc,

So here is my story. I am currently on complera. I have insurance that is telling me that I can no longer get long-term medications from a retail pharmacy because it will not be covered. I spoke with a social worker and we called the insurance company and they stated that it will be covered as long as the prescription is for 90 days or 100 units, whichever is greater and enough refills for a year. So my doctor called in the prescription for 100 and enough refills for the year. When I first filled the prescription, the pharmacy only gave me 30 because they said that is all the insurance allows at once, even though the prescription is for 100. I have only 6 pills left and I called in for the refill and the pharmacy called me back saying the insurance is not covering it and I have to go through mail-order. This is so frustrating. I have been doing great. My cd4 is up from 420 27% to 612 33% and VL down from 38,000 to 275 as of jan 26. I am scared. What happens if I run out of medicine and do not have a refill? This is absolutely crazy. I feel like I'm just being taken for a ride from hell and its never-ending. I cannot have the medicine sent to my house because parents are nosy and do not know of my diagnosis. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You definitely should get back in touch with the insurance company, hopefully you have the name of whom you originally spoke with.

Some carriers are trying to force people on medications indefinitely, to get them through mail order as it is much cheaper for them. However, many will make exceptions as it appears yours may have done. It's entirely possible that the exception you were offered didn't make it into your file, or it could be possible the pharmacist knows the company's general policy and didn't confirm your exception.

Talk to the insurance company and take notes. Explain the situation and get help in resolving this.

By the way, if you are on an ADAP program that's an even stronger argument of why you need to use an in-state pharmacy rather than some national distributor.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
Antiretovirals in AFRICA
Next
the calypte aware oral mucosal transudate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.