Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Antiretovirals in AFRICA
Apr 3, 2012

Hello everyone... I've just been promoted to work in one of our offices in AFRICA precisely in KENYA and this is the best position I could ever wished. However, I'm concerned that my drugs( taking combination of KALETRA & TRUVADA) are not available by any pharmacist there. Done some extensive search and it seems the only way to get them would be to order them and have them shipped. But my insurance is not willing to cover it. I don't know what to do and I have heard that even if I get to change the meds, they are of lower quality. I'm worried and I need some help.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm surprised your insurance won't send your meds by mail order. Most carriers prefer it since it saves them money. Discuss your situation with a supervisor at the insurance company to see what can be done. Have they given a reason. Is there a problem with mailing medications into Kenya for personal use, for example?

If there is a reason for not mailing the meds, how often will you be returning to the US? Frequently enough to get a larger supply each trip?

If the insurance is through the employer sending you to Kenya, the plan should certainly accommodate you. How are other employees in Kenya covered or will you be the only one?

Finally, you may want to talk to HR (scary, I know). Just say there is a medication that your carrier is refusing to send to you.

Have you had a chance to find a doctor there yet? If so, can anything be worked out between the doctor and the insurance company?

I hope some of these will help you. If not, write with more details such as specific reasons for their refusal, etc. and I'll see what else I can find.

Previous
Reyataz vs Edurant
Next
Mail order prescriptions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.