The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lower Cost Atripla/Viraday
Mar 26, 2012

I have friends who go back and forth to India all the time. They provide me with Viraday as required, which is working perfectly for me. If others want information on this, I would assist. Is that legal? Can I get in trouble for helping others to such a source for lower-cost meds?

Response from Mr. Chambers

I realized that medications, especially HIV ones, are very expensive and many are available throughout the world, but there are always questions regarding safety as well as legal issues.

I'm not an attorney, but, as I understand it, there are laws against importing prescription medications from outside the country, especially for use by persons other than yourself.

I realize a lot of people do that for their own medical needs. We frequently hear about people that order their meds from Canada or go to Mexico where they can buy them over the counter. The FDA has even made special rules for importation of certain medications, but only from Canada. However, legitimate concerns about quality control as well as the strong influence of the pharmaceutical industry, have stopped any further expansion.

Before launching such a service I recommend you carefully check what laws are in place and what is legal and what is illegal. That's a generous gesture on your part, but you don't want your desire to help others to backfire on you.

taking reyataz, norvir and truvada
PEP Question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint