The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

more on Medicare
Feb 24, 2012

Thank you for your answer about medicare coverage when I turn 65. A follow up question is what happens to my wife's coverage (will be 65 the same year) and particularly my disabled 30 year old daughter who lives with us and is currently covered by my self paid plan. (We have guardianship) Will she also be covered?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Medicare does not provide for dependent coverage. When your wife turns 65, she will be able to apply for Medicare. The cost of Part A, if any, will be based on the number of Social Security credits/quarters she accumulated under her Social Security number. If she worked fairly regularly and paid into Social Security, she will not have to Pay for Part A. If not, she may have to pay a portion of the Part A premium.

As far as your private insurance goes, you should be able to switch your family coverage to separate policies for your wife, who will only need it until she gets her own Medicare, and your daughter.

They should allow you to switch your daughter's coverage to an individual policy. The insurance company should agree to these changes since they are already insuring them.

Don't forget to look for Part D Medications coverage for yourself. You can do that online at You may also want to consider a Medicare Supplement or Medigap coverage.

Good luck, Jacques

Worry over negligible HIV risk "do i have hiv ,want to kill my self help me doctors plz"
hiv exposure Pls save me.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint