The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Losing my job over HIV/is this likely HIV?
Feb 13, 2012

I had my first sex ever with a male last month in China, and it was sadly unprotected. I was drunk, stupid and instantly regretted it the next day. Over the past week I've had the following things happen:

1) Fatigue (granted, the fatigue started after a long night of drinking and lasted merely 2 days and started around a month after the unprotected sex) 2) Dry Mouth (lasted as long as the Fatigue and started at the same time) 3) Sore throat (not horrible, but just a little tender, started almost a week after the fatigue and ended 2 days ago) 4) One case of diarrhea during the middle of the sore throat. 5) Swollen Nymph node above the cheek that vanished the day they appear. 6) Something that may be an ulcer in my mouth that just appeared today.

First of all I was the top to where I am aware of the 6.5 out of 10,000 probability, but the first thing I want to know is wat are the chances that all these symptoms are related since they all seem to come within a different timeframe and for potentially different reasons. Like the fatigue and dry mouth could come from heavy drinking, the sore throat and swollen nymph nodes came from a cold, the diarrhea came from something I ate, and the ulcer came from stressing out over all this? Just seeing if this is not only possible, but probable. I also haven't had a rash, fever, headaches, or muscle or joint pain. Don't worry, I'm going to get tested in a few months, I would just like to put my mind slightly at ease over the next few months (and I won't be having any sex whatsoever between now and this), but this leads to my second question.

He told me he was HIV-, but the problem is I'm in a different country (China) and am working here. When I first arrived, the Chinese government made me submit to an HIV test, and I passed. If I do test HIV positive (I'll test in May when I return temporarily to America), would I not only lose my job but also my ability to return to China? I have studied Chinese for over 7 years and worked here for 3. If this would happen.... then my career is completely over. All of my family and friends would have to basically find out about it instantly, and I know my family and friends will not forgive me (especially since none know I'm bi). I would probably end up killing myself in shame to be honest since my life would literally be over. So if any of you know anything about China's HIV working policies and could help clear this up, I would greatly appreciate your response.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Your question has been sent to me concerning your issues about work. It is difficult to get current information on living with HIV in China. People who go there to work must take an HIV test as you did, but I could not find anything about re-testing when you reenter China.

While they have lifted their ban on HIV+ visiting China, there is still a strong stigma to the condition and HIV+ persons are regularly discriminated against.

As far as losing your job, a lot depends on who you work for and what you do. If it is a Chinese company, yes, you would probably lose your job. If, however, you work for a multi-national, that would be up to their policy and whether your type of work would be possible outside China.

You can find a lot of information about HIV+ issues in China on this site. You should also do a websearch for "Can HIV+ go or work in China?" There is a lot of information there; be careful to make sure how current it is.

Good luck, Jacques

The actually difficulty of contracting the HIV virus!
risk is there?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint