For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Getting copies of lab reports

I was recently told by the lab that does my testing that they will not release a copy of labs to patients, period. If I want a copy of my labs I should get them from the ordering doctor. I thought that under HIPAA you can get a copy of any medical record as long as a signed a valid consent for release of information form is presented. Who is right?

Response from Mr. Chambers

You should get the copies from your doctor. It's easier, they usually won't charge, and it's an opportunity to go over the results with your doctor at the same time.

Advised by HR to reveal Diagnosis
Insurance Coverage