Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

may I return to work after sleep apnea?

I have been released to work with no limitations from my physician. I went in for sleep study and they precribed a bipap machine which I use. I missed 2 weeks and now they want me to get a new DOT physical which I had done in Oct. The only person they have ever sent for retesting DOT physical was a heart attack patient in 8 yrs I have been employed.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I don't know what type of work you do, however, an employer does have the right to confirm that you are physically able to perform your job duties. You mention DOT; if that stands for Department of Transportation, then you may not be eligible to return to a driving position, but that is the point of the exam, to see if you can return.

Keep in mind that under the Americans with Disabilities Act, your employer may be required to find you another job that you can do.

New HIV diagnosis
Loss of Insurance if Co goes out of business