Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anthem Blue Cross PPO $35 Copay GenRx Plan
Jan 30, 2012

I'm in a predicament. I'm about to get a raise at work that will put my annual salary between $50,000 and $60,000 per year which will disqualify me for ADAP that I currently use to get my meds in California. The only Health Insurance plan offered by my employer is the above mentioned and it does not include Name Brand Drugs. Since there is no generic form of Truvada or Isentress (the drugs I take now), what can I possibly do? Since those drugs cost over $22,000 per year, would I really have to pay that out of my own pocket 100%? Should I try to convince my employer to offer a different health insurance plan (it's a small group employer)? What happens when your employer offers health insurance but not a plan that actually works for your circumstance? Thank you for your time.

Response from Mr. Chambers

That is the big drawback to getting health insurance through your employer. You don't have a say in what plan is offered. If you are comfortable doing so, talk to your employer about it. Based on what you have described, if you are not eligible for ADAP and your plan does not cover brand name jobs (that's really cheap on your employer's part), then, yes, you will be expected to pay 100% for your brand name medications.

I'm sorry I don't have an alternative.

Previous
missed dose
Next
Medicare and HIV med costs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.