medical student

Hello Dr. Franzoni. I am a medical student who is about to begin their clinical years. I am scared of getting tested and finding out that I am positive since i have accumulated alot of loan and may be thrown out of medical school. What steps do I need to take if i get bad news?Do I have to inform the school or can I just try to be careful in the clinics? I think I got infected in 2007 by some guy purposely. How do I confront him? if a guy secretly removes the condom, does that mean he purposely tried to infect me or could he have other reasons? I have also been having mild sharp headaches. Could the HIV be affecting my brain already? also considering that my insurance is very bad, where can I get free HIV treatment? Can I get anonymous treatment? I know these are alot of question but I am really scared. So, please help me.

Response from Mr. Chambers

You have asked several questions, and most of the answers depend on what state you live in. You will need to check with your state's medical board about practicing medicine with HIV. I doubt there is a problem, but check to be sure.

Regarding the person that you believe purposely infected you, ideally it would be better for you and your mental health if you leave that in the past and move on. If, however, that is not possible for you, seek guidance from a legal services agency in your area.

Your doctors will have to decide if HIV is affecting your brain.

I strongly encourage you to seek some mental health assistance. You are dealing with an awful lot right now and discussing it with someone will help you sort out all your issues.

Good luck

travelling to the uk and usa
I live abroad and have not taken my meds in 12 months