ssi

I have been infected with hiv since early 1990 started meds in 2004 basically atripla my tcell where 12 and my viral load was 40000 have been on meds since then this last two years my body is not what it use to b I tire real easy and my mind is going crazy I have become more isolated and dont want to workcause having tuff time getting along with people I applied for ssi and iam wiating to c what happens I also have hep c which i treated back in the 90s can they deny me or what or my options

Response from Mr. Chambers

Eligibility for either SSI or SSDI depends on several things: 1. Your age - the older you are, the easier to get approved; 2. Your educational and work history to see what kind of job you might be able to do 3. Most importantly, what your medical records show and if there are restrictions and limitations which clearly show your symptoms are too severe for you to work on a regular basis. T-Cell and Viral Load numbers aren't considered since they don't directly affect the level of your symptoms.

In the absence of enough medical records, they may ask you to have a physical exam by one of their doctors. These can be difficult for people with HIV, since subjective symptoms such as fatigue and foggy thinking don't show up in those exams.

Jacques

Medicare to INS
Workplace Issues