Medicare to INS

I current receive SS Disability and receive Medicare. I am about to graduate college and my goal is come off of disability and find a full-time job. My big concern is obtaining an employer based insurance. Do you have any advise? I don't want to be on disability for my whole life but am scared of losing health insurance. I will also be living in Chicago. I think each state has different rules.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Congratulations! That's quite an achievement.

Federal law prohibits insurance companies from refusing to cover you if you are an employee and are otherwise eligible for the employer-provided health insurance. You canNOT be refused because of your medical condition.

I also encourage you to consult SSA's The Red Book 2012 which goes into detail about returning to work and how Social Security and Medicare can be kept until you have had a chance to make sure you are able to work. The Red Book 2012

Good luck with your new career. Jacques

Informing Certified Nurse Aides of Communicable Disease
ssi