Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Term Life Insurance
Jan 24, 2012

Hi, I am HIV positive and would like to get term life insurance for my partner. Is this possible? Thanks, CS

Response from Mr. Chambers

It's nice of you to be thinking of your partner, but, No, life insurers are still not accepting applications from HIV+ persons.

The only alternative outside of employer provided group life, is called "graded benefit" life insurance. This is life insurance without an exam or health questions. If you die in the first two years of the policy, they will only return your premiums plus interest to the beneficiary. After two years, then it pays the face amount upon your death.

The drawback is it is rarely available to persons under age 50 (sometimes 40), and you are usually limited to no more than $25,000 in life benefit.

You probably have seen commercials by Alex Trebek for this type of coverage, and other carriers write it also.

Previous
Can I move?
Next
Expatriation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.