The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I move?
Jan 24, 2012

I am an independent contractor in CA, and buy group medical through my state association, which also covers the cost of my HIV meds (Atripla & VidexEC). I would like very much to return to NJ to be close to my family (I'm very isolated where I live now); however, their state association does not offer group insurance. I realize that I can purchase an non-underwritten individual plan in NJ, but they only cover 50% of prescription costs. Since I will be just starting out, I wouldn't expect to have any income for at least 6 months (maybe longer, depending on the economy there). I could use my savings to pay for the monthly medical insurance premium, but can't afford to also pay 50% of my meds. Do you know of any solution to this problem?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Before moving check with the NJ ADAP program. If you qualify for that, it should pick the remainder of your medications.

Good luck getting back to your family.

HIV pre-existing condition.
Term Life Insurance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint