HIV pre-existing condition.

I have been HIV + for almost twenty years. One year ago I was laid off and have not had coverage for about 9 months. I have returned to work and the new coverage I have is stating I have a pre-existing condition. I dont want to die. How can I get through this?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Under federal law, your employer's plan must cover pre-existing conditions after a waiting period of from 6 months up to one year. They cannot refuse to cover your pre-existing condition after that waiting period is past. Check your plan document to see how long it is.

In the interim, you can hopefully get your medications from your state's ADAP program.

Also, if your employer is large enough to offer you a choice of plans, an HMO does not have a pre-existing conditions waiting period, so you may want to start with that and change to the PPO program at the next open enrollment period after the waiting period is past.

Retirement Health Care Coverage
Can I move?