The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

traveling outside the US
Jan 24, 2012


I was wondering if im allowed to travel outside the United States to like Canada or Europe for vacation with being hiv? Do i have to tell the other country on my passport or something when i apply for one? Also can i move to London or France and be able to get medical treatment and still get my SSDI check?

Thank you very much

Response from Mr. Chambers

You will need to check with each country's rules that you intend to visit. Most major countries including Europe should not be a problem. Smaller, more isolated countries may have restrictions.

If you move to England or France, you will become eligible for their national health plans, although you may need to establish residency. SSDI checks will be sent almost anywhere. There are some countries, Cuba, North Korea, and Iran come to mind as well as a few others where Social Security will NOT send benefits.

Negative 25 days after exposure. RETEST?
Higher studies in USA

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint