Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ EMS/hospital employees
Jan 24, 2012

I have read through the other questions, didn't find my answer. My question is I know that the EMS agency and hospital I applied to both require a baseline medical exam that includes an HIV test. That being said, based on ADA laws can I be rejected for a job in EMS or ER patient care? I'm terrified that I'm not going to find a job now! I know several HIV infected healthcare employees but all of them already have jobs and haven't disclosed their status. Paramedics and RNs don't really perform invasive procedures but can they reject me anyway?!? Please help!!

Response from Mr. Chambers

Under ADA, you cannot be required to take a pre-employment exam until a formal job offer has been made. The exam cannot derail the hiring process provided it shows you are able to perform the job duties, despite any medical conditions discovered.

Many medical occupations require licensing by a state agency. I am not aware of any that prohibit HIV+ persons from working in their field but you should check with your state's licensing agency to be sure how it operates in your state.

Previous
Is This Legal?
Next
Negative 25 days after exposure. RETEST?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.