Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Returning to the USA
Jan 20, 2012

I am living in Europe where I have unhindered access to my medication without any annual cap. In addition, the monthly insurance is affordable. Unfortunately, I am now unemployed and because my work has been specific I stand more chance of finding a new position if I returned to the USA. I would like to know what are the chances of me being enrolled into a company's health insurance scheme with a pre-existing condition?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Under federal law (HIPAA) if you go to work for an employer who offers health insurance to its employees and you are otherwise eligible for that coverage (full-time, covered class, etc.), you can not be refused insurance because of your medical condition or health history.

Your status would only be an issue if the employer is small and the insurance company asks health questions to set the group's rate. You would get the coverage, but there is also a chance the employer will see your enrollment form. There are no health questions with large groups.

Previous
Gov't security clearances
Next
HIV and Federal drug test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.