Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Returning to the USA

I am living in Europe where I have unhindered access to my medication without any annual cap. In addition, the monthly insurance is affordable. Unfortunately, I am now unemployed and because my work has been specific I stand more chance of finding a new position if I returned to the USA. I would like to know what are the chances of me being enrolled into a company's health insurance scheme with a pre-existing condition?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Under federal law (HIPAA) if you go to work for an employer who offers health insurance to its employees and you are otherwise eligible for that coverage (full-time, covered class, etc.), you can not be refused insurance because of your medical condition or health history.

Your status would only be an issue if the employer is small and the insurance company asks health questions to set the group's rate. You would get the coverage, but there is also a chance the employer will see your enrollment form. There are no health questions with large groups.

Gov't security clearances
HIV and Federal drug test