Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

health insurance decision based on life insurance queastion.
Jan 20, 2012

I am covered by my spouse's employee health plan for 8 years. We have both just renewed (2012) with the new Health Savings Acct model because we are both in excellent heatlh and so it is a less costly monthly expense for us - but a higher deductable should we need care. But We just got a letter asking me for info for the "addtional coverage" - that we alway had... and among other questions for me was whether I had ever been denied life insurance in last 5 years. I was denied a higher policy a few weeks ago for tobacco use (occasional cigar) and so kept my older policy. Will they have access to this info? Will they refuse my health coverage with this info?

Response from Mr. Chambers

There is a central clearing house that keeps records on all life insurance applications. It's called the Medical Information Bureau. Assuming the carrier asking the questions is a member, and most are, they will see that you were denied for tobacco use, so there is no point in hiding it on your questionnaire. You don't mention and I hope the denied insurance didn't mention your HIV status. If not, I assume you will get the health insurance.

Also, under HIPAA federal law, if your employer offers group health insurance to employees and their dependents, you cannot by law be denied that health insurance. That would not apply only if the employer was purchasing individual health policies for everyone, which some small employers do.

You should be OK. Good luck

Previous
When you Donate blood
Next
Oayment for hiv meds during retirement

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.