health insurance decision based on life insurance queastion.

I am covered by my spouse's employee health plan for 8 years. We have both just renewed (2012) with the new Health Savings Acct model because we are both in excellent heatlh and so it is a less costly monthly expense for us - but a higher deductable should we need care. But We just got a letter asking me for info for the "addtional coverage" - that we alway had... and among other questions for me was whether I had ever been denied life insurance in last 5 years. I was denied a higher policy a few weeks ago for tobacco use (occasional cigar) and so kept my older policy. Will they have access to this info? Will they refuse my health coverage with this info?

Response from Mr. Chambers

There is a central clearing house that keeps records on all life insurance applications. It's called the Medical Information Bureau. Assuming the carrier asking the questions is a member, and most are, they will see that you were denied for tobacco use, so there is no point in hiding it on your questionnaire. You don't mention and I hope the denied insurance didn't mention your HIV status. If not, I assume you will get the health insurance.

Also, under HIPAA federal law, if your employer offers group health insurance to employees and their dependents, you cannot by law be denied that health insurance. That would not apply only if the employer was purchasing individual health policies for everyone, which some small employers do.

You should be OK. Good luck

When you Donate blood
Oayment for hiv meds during retirement