Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

adap program and united health care
Jan 19, 2012

Hello, I was wondering if you had any advice for me. I recently qualified for the illinois adap program. Which was a huge relief, since my deductible for my pharmacy is 2500 before they cover all costs. I received my first shipment of meds and then was contacted saying that my united health care ppo which uses medco wasn't compatible with cvs caremark pharmacy which dispenses all illinois adap drugs. The nice lady I talked with from cvs says sometimes the employer will overlook the medco policy and pay the copay to adap (cvs). So I called my doctor's office and the nurse said she has heard of companies doing this procedure. So i reluctantly called my human resource dept with my employer and they said they had never heard of this happening and that they were contracted with medco. So my question is, have you heard of any loop holes that companies can use to bypass medco? I seem like if i didn't have insurance this would be better, but obviously i don't want to cancel my insurance. Any insight would be appreciated.

Response from Mr. Chambers

I'm sorry to hear about the conflict in pharmacies. More and more insurance companies are requiring specific pharmacies and that can make ADAP more difficult to access.

Your issue is with the insurance company that provides your health coverage. Often, they will accommodate a change. I encourage you to call customer service at the number on your insurance ID card and see what can be done.

Good luck,

Previous
hiv 4th genaration test after 10 weeks negavite ??
Next
When you Donate blood

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.