Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how do i keep from being fired
Jan 18, 2012

I found out i was hiv + a year ago. I started med a year ago and my company changed insurance. I was able to keep my status hidden by sending my application for new insurance direct to the insurance company. Here is my problem I have been with the very small company in sales for 18 year now. My company change insurance every year to keep cost down. So i have to fill out a application every year. My company uses a insurance broker to give and get the applactions. he then summits them to several insurance companys for a quote. He is a close friend to the owner and his brother works for my company. I have been hearing the boss talk on the phone bitching about his rates hitting the roof and that they have a employee who is maxing out their ceiling on their insurance. meaning i have had over 40 thousand in insurance pay outs. so i have no more deductable. my boss also said he is going to find out who is causing this. I am sure he will find out and fire me. Just which there was a way to keep him from finding out and keep my job. Any help with this would be great.

Response from Mr. Chambers

That's a tough one, and I feel bad for the stress it must be causing you.

As long as you do not tell anyone at work of your status, if the employer finds out you are having the large medical bills, that would mean it came from the broker, who must have gotten it from the insurance company. If so, both of them violated confidentiality laws, and you can probably bring legal action against them both. If you are fired because of it, you will have suffered damages.

Let's hope the insurance company is smart enough to refuse to give the broker any details about claims.

I know jobs are hard to find, but your stress will be lower and your health probably better if you can find work elsewhere. Good luck

Previous
Fired because they found out I was HIV possitive
Next
CAN I SUIT MY EX?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.