Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Social Security Disability
Jan 18, 2012

I have been out of work now by doctors orders for a back injury which happened on the job. I have applied for SS disability benefits and have added my HIV status to my back injury. What else do I need to ensure that I recieve these benefits?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Since you have already applied, the best thing you can do is contact all the doctors you named to Social Security. Tell them to expect a request for a copy of their medical records and ask them to submit them as promptly as possible.

You may also get some questionnaires from the disability analyst to complete. That should give you the name and phone number of the analyst handling your claim. Call him or her to make sure all medical records are in and offer to help get in those that aren't in yet.

Also, be very thorough in completing the questionnaires. If they are going to take longer than 10 days, call the analyst to let him or her know. They are your chance to show the analyst what the records don't show, and that is what your life is like, how you function, what changes you have had to make, and what restrictions and limitations you have to "normal" functioning.

Previous
Continuation of Medical Insurance Premium If Moving to California from Illinois
Next
HSA vs. Copay Plan

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.