Continuation of Medical Insurance Premium If Moving to California from Illinois

I am currently a resident of Illinois. I feel so lucky and grateful for the CHIC program benefits I receive. I was lucky enough to have purchased a very good individual medical insurance policy from a major company years before I became HIV+. Then I lost my job, could no longer pay for my policy and thought I had no choice but to drop it. Through my HIV case manager I discovered I qualified to have my premiums (usually around $480/month)paid for. It was a huge stress relief for me and it has helped me stay healthy and maintain peace of mind. I am currently faced with a decision to move to California where I have some family and friends. Loss of a job here again, some health problems and multiple problems in my current living conditions with a lack of good options compared with good to great opportunities in the San Francisco Bay Area are some of the factors prompting me to make this move. I have done some preliminary research into this matter and as I expected it is a bit confusing. So my questions are 1. Is there comparable programs in California (specifically the SF area) and 2. Could someone suggest an organization or person(s)who could help me transition there or at least point me in the right direction.

Response from Mr. Chambers

California does have a program that pays health insurance premiums, called OA-HIPP. You can get details and enroll at many AIDS Service Organizations in the San Francisco area. You can find a list of them here.

You also should check your health insurance to make sure it is valid in all states. Some plans, especially HMOs, are no good outside their "service" area. here.

HIV Positive Nursing Student
Social Security Disability