Disclosure of hiv status

Hi , I am currently in a nursing program and have a question about my status being disclosed. I was feeling ill and a classmate took me to the hospital, Long story short she found out my hiv status and told the teacher. The teacher went and told the whole administration about my status and her concern about me handling patients at clinicals . It came back to me from someone working there that my status was disclosed and a whole meeting took place. I feel so disgusted and violated that a so called nurse who is suppose to know these laws concerning confidentiality so willfully told my status. I would like to know if there are any legal ramifications for the school?

Response from Mr. Chambers

There may certainly be legal problems with what they did. I encourage you to contact a local legal services to see what your rights might be, as some states have variations on the confidentiality laws.

An alternative would be to go directly to management (the higher the better) and ask about the "spread of information you have heard about." If correct, politely remind them of your right to have the information kept confidential and to continue your studies.

Moving to Florida
Loss of health coverage for domestic partners