Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance
Jan 18, 2012

Hi Lynn, I used to take my hiv drugs in a local pharmacy, but my insurance sent me a letter requesting to change to a mail order system and only allow me to get 30 days supply. They said that if i want to keep buying I my local pharmacy, I need to pay it in cash and get a reimburse from my insurance company. My medications is too expensive, so I had to change to the by mail order service. I run out of medicine for few days because of this change. My first order was shipped with the right address but delivered to a neighbor door by fedex mistake. Is any action that I can take to keep my old local pharmacy as my supplier? Thanks

Response from Mr. Chambers

You should start by carefully reviewing your plan document to see what it says about getting medications under your plan. I would also suggest that you talk to your doctor and make sure he or she will cooperate in supporting your return to the local pharmacy. Then I would contact the insurance company and ask for either a supervisor or a case manager. Explain the situation and emphasize the importance of not missing any doses, and see if they will make an exception.

If that doesn't succeed, I would encourage contacting a legal service agency that deals with HIV and see if they can intervene.

Good luck, Jacques

Previous
no medical insurance
Next
Moving to Florida

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.