Insurance

Hi Lynn, I used to take my hiv drugs in a local pharmacy, but my insurance sent me a letter requesting to change to a mail order system and only allow me to get 30 days supply. They said that if i want to keep buying I my local pharmacy, I need to pay it in cash and get a reimburse from my insurance company. My medications is too expensive, so I had to change to the by mail order service. I run out of medicine for few days because of this change. My first order was shipped with the right address but delivered to a neighbor door by fedex mistake. Is any action that I can take to keep my old local pharmacy as my supplier? Thanks

Response from Mr. Chambers

You should start by carefully reviewing your plan document to see what it says about getting medications under your plan. I would also suggest that you talk to your doctor and make sure he or she will cooperate in supporting your return to the local pharmacy. Then I would contact the insurance company and ask for either a supervisor or a case manager. Explain the situation and emphasize the importance of not missing any doses, and see if they will make an exception.

If that doesn't succeed, I would encourage contacting a legal service agency that deals with HIV and see if they can intervene.

Good luck, Jacques

no medical insurance
Moving to Florida