no medical insurance

I am hiv+ and permanently disabled. I get $1169.00 from SSD every month. I do not qualify for Medicaid because of my income.I cannot afford to pay rent, bills and for medication. One month of Atripla costs $1959.00.....how can i afford to live??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Response from Mr. Chambers

After receiving SSDI benefits for twenty-four months, you will be eligible for Medicare. Your Medicare card will automatically arrive about two months before it is effective. Under Medicare you will have the opportunity to keep it or trade it for one of the Medicare Advantage Plans which will usually lower your out-of-pocket costs. Also, your income, although not low enough for Medicaid, may be low enough for one of the Medicare Savings Programs that will help with Medicare costs. You can access those through you local Medicaid office.

[Editor's note: Another option is to explore Atripla's patient assistance program as a possible avenue for paying for this medication.

Also, local HIV/AIDS service organizations are an excellent place to turn for assistance in navigating concerns with costs of care and medication. Check out the ASO Finder for a listing.]

I have answers but haven't found a answer to my question
Insurance