Insurance for non-resident / non-US- citizen

Hello, I am an international student studying and working on a visa in the US. I was diagnosed positive while been in the US, infection may have occurred in the US as well. I am wondering what kind of insurance can I access? So far, I started medication and my university insurance covers it, but this is very unstable. I may need not to register for credits and just concentrate on my thesis, in which case I would loose the university insurance. On summers, I just dont really need to study. Is there anything there I can access?

Response from Mr. Chambers

Even though you are a legal resident, even if temporarily, you have the same rights to health insurance as any citizen, which is not good news. Individual health insurance policies require disclosure of medications and medical history. I do not know of any health insurance plan that will knowingly accept an HIV+ applicant. That may vary in some states that offer guarantee issue or open enrollment periods. You need to check with a local agent or your state's Department of Insurance to see what may available where you live.

At present, the best way to get insurance is through an employer, however, you student visa may not permit that.

Retirement insurance
Local Doctors dont want to treat my brother