Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Terminated due to HIV.
Jan 16, 2012

I was terminated in July 2010, after working for the UC system for 5 years. Above Satisfactory annual evaluations. Clean employee record for 12 months. I was diagnosed in March 10, 2010. A month after my two year relationship ended. Dealing with the break up and the diagnosis, I disclosed my status to my supervisor the same day I was diagnosed. Once I started meds, I suffered alot of side effects, specially all night diarreah. My supervisor even spoke with my pharmacist, on how she could make it easier for me, given the situation. There were no issues untill the end of June 2010, upon returning from a week of sick leave and a week of vacation, I was asked to moved my schedule around to meet upcoming events. The next day after returning to work I called in, asked if I could come in late, since I was up during the night and needed to rest before coming in to work. Typical procedure I called left a message supervisor called 30 mints or so after. I always turned in Dr.s note whenever I had to take off for a Dr. visit for an hour or so during work hours. I was never asked for a DR. note for coming in late, which only happended a couple of times. Long story short, I was asked to bring a DR. note, I couldn't get one in time,, following day I was put on suspencion for Investigation, for they didn't believe I was ill. Was told it would take about one week for HR to contact me, but a week later I got a letter of dismisal stating I had been unproffesional then two days later got another letter of disminal stating that I was being let you because I didn't answer to the first letter of dismisal. I was not allowed to come clean my desk, instead was told to pick them up from HR. I asked in many occasions for a copy of the investigation, emails have gone unanswered and when I show up, the person who deals with that is not there. Well, this happened in July 2010, and ever since then been dealing with insurance, meds, depression, etc, etc...can I still do something about it? I looked for lawyers with background on HIV and Employment and haven't had much luck. I got paper trails, documents, etc...what can I do?

Response from Mr. Chambers

You definitely need some legal assistance for this. While it appears that there may have been discrimination, only an attorney could determine that for sure.

I'm not sure what part of California you live in, but both San Francisco (AIDS Legal Referral Panel) and Los Angeles (HIV/AIDS Legal Services Alliance) have agencies that focus on such issues. AIDS Service Organization near other UC campuses should be able to refer you for legal assistance as well.

Good luck

Previous
Need Life Insurance
Next
Short Term Disability & Group Life BEFORE Diagnosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.