Obama Care and Supplemental Disability Insurance

Approximately two years ago, I was told by an Affleck insurance representative (I live in Los Angeles) who came to my workplace that I could not get this type of supplemental insurance (I already have health insurance through my employer) because of my preexisting HIV. The representative also told me that because I'd had a small skin cancer removed from my arm that I was also ineligible for Affleck cancer supplemental coverage. All I could get was accidental dealth/dismemberment. With the advent of Obama Care, can Affleck, and companies like it, still deny coverage based on preexisting conditions such as mine? I am asking this question as of January 2012. I know that things may change quickly in regards to questions such as this. I figured it would be best to ask you for some background before I approach Affleck directly again. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Chambers

The Affordable Care Act (sometimes called Obamacare, but usually disparagingly) includes a position that requires each plan under the law provide a minimum set of basic benefits, which has not yet been determined.

However, I seriously doubt that the typical plans covered by AFLAC will qualify under that law because each plan covers usually a specific item like cancer, or "catastrophic coverage". Also, disability plans, that is plans that pay you an amount every week or month when you cannot work, do not come under the new federal law.

I'm afraid that when the law is finally put into force on 01-01-14, AFLAC will still be able to reject applicants based on their medical history.

At least you have your employer's health coverage.

pre-employment physical for flight attendant HIV+
Support group in Bradenton, FL